HOW CAN I HELP?
There are many ways that you can help. RRAChild is funded by generous people like you.
Well fed, healthy, and well educated children that are lifted out of poverty will have bright futures..
Donations are the life-blood of our service. There are many ways to give.
- You can make a cash donation once or monthly.
- You may contribute to our GoFundMe account here.
- You may donate via Paypal; the official Paypal address for all donations is firstname.lastname@example.org. (The account is listed under the name of the co-founder of the school.) If you are donating to buy a specific item/service for a child, please state the item and the child's name in the "note" section of the Paypal payment. Please use the "friends and family" option on Paypal for donations whenever possible. This saves us precious funds on fees! You can reach our Paypal donation page here.
- You can sponsor a child and/or become a pen pal.
- You can send supplies to a child or to the school.
So we are now asking penpals and all RRAChild world friends to be more selective about sending supplies. If you wish to send basic supplies, first check if Eddy can purchase these items locally. If he can, please just make a donation to cover the cost and he will buy the items there. It just makes more sense financially for everyone. You can donate to buy any of these items as general supplies for the children or as a gift for any specific child. You can even buy chickens and goats as a gift for the school or your pen pal's family! And if a mattress or a pair of shoes doesn't sound like a "fun" gift for a child, believe me that it is very much needed and appreciated! A good night's sleep and a comfortable pair of shoes for walking and playing are tremendous gifts for these kids! Also imagine if you had painful dental problems like some of our kids. A trip to the dentist to make that pain go away (and save your teeth) would be the best gift in the world!! And just the same as if you sent it yourself, your child will always be told that the gift came from YOU!
Here are the items/services you can purchase for the children and their costs in USD:
Triple bunk bed: $160
10 kg (22 lbs.) bag of rice: $14
5 kg (11 lbs.) bag of maize (corn) flour: $4
One mat: $5
Wash tub: $10
Mosquito net: $8
Mosquito spray: $5
School Uniform: $10
Underwear: $7 (Pack of 12)
Socks: $9 (Pack of 12)
Black Leather School Shoes: $15
Athletic Shoes: $20
Box of 50 Pens: $6
Box of 50 Pencils: $6
Crayons: $6 (Pack of 10 Boxes)
Sanitary Pads: $1 (Single Pad)
Toothbrushes: $6 (Set of 10)
Toothpaste: $1.50 Per Tube
Live Chicken: $8
Live Goat: $75
Birthday Cake: $6 (small, basic cake)
Soccer Ball: $31
Soap: $1.20 per bar
Dental Cleaning Visit: $30
Medical Check-up Visit: $15
If you want to send personal gifts for your pen pal such as homemade items, special outfits, dolls/toys, and inexpensive jewelry, please feel free to still do so! Other items you can send that are difficult or expensive to obtain in Uganda include:
Books in English (textbooks, reference books, storybooks, etc.)
Vitamins (new, still sealed in bottle)
Seeds (new, sealed in packets)
Laptops and Tablets
Unfortunately the Ugandan postal system is corrupt, so sometimes Eddy will be charged fees arbitrarily, but there are guidelines you can use to minimize the taxes he has to pay. When sending packages, please follow these tips:
- Keep packages light, under 4 lbs / 2 kilos. In the U.S., packages will be $23.25 from 8 oz to 2 lbs, so if you have small, inexpensive extras such as pencils, balloons, bracelets, band-aids, and toothbrushes you can add these to "fill up" and make the most of the $23.25 for a 2lb package rate. Please try to avoid heavy, bulky items such as shoes and backpacks as they are frequently flagged for high taxes by customs. Please donate to buy these items instead.
- Remove all tags, boxes, and packaging from new items and mark them as "used" on the customs form, except for laptops and tablets. If you include clothing marked as used, indicate that it is not for resale.
- Underdeclare value. Always declare less than $50 in value. Always mark electronics as "used" so they will not be flagged as high value items.
Also, if you are a pen pal, please never feel obligated to send anything other than a letter! (You can also include extra flat paper items in your letters that won't add to shipping costs but can be sweet little gifts such as printed-out photos, drawings, poems, and stickers.) Remember, the pen pal program is free! The only situation where we would ask a pen pal to send money is if you want a child's letter mailed to you "snail mail" instead of scanned and E-mailed to you. This small fee would just be to cover return postage. We want everyone to know that your letters themselves are incredible gifts for the children and genuine treasures to them. Your words mean the world to them. Learning about interesting people in different parts of the world is fascinating to them and an incredible source of knowledge. Even more so, your praise, encouragement, and support make our children feel special and loved!
You may also become an ambassador for RRAC to recruit more supporters that will benefit the school community. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and help spread the word! Thank you for reading and if you have any questions, please ask!